[Flac-dev] Re: FLAC docs (was: Is FLAC fully cooked for OS X yet?)

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Wed Feb 21 14:18:14 PST 2007

I realize that it entails more work, but I find that it is good to
have both kinds of documentation, the straight-through read and the
direct route.  I generally refer to those as Tutorial and Reference
documents.  The Tutorial gives new developers all the concepts - in
breadth, without necessarily going into depth on all calls.  The
Reference is for seasoned developers who already understand the
concepts, know which specific API they need, and want to read in-
depth about all the details of a function call.

I think you could revive your old documentation which was a straight-
through read, update it if it is now out-of-date, and add it to the
documentation as a Tutorial.  But don't get rid of the ominous
Reference documentation - those of us who are working on long-term
projects need that, too.

Brian