[Flac-dev] FLAC 24 bit test results

Brian Willoughby brianw at sounds.wa.com
Thu Apr 5 02:27:57 PDT 2007

Josh (Green),

Seems like the longest example in your list is a 15-second file.  I
would like to see the same problem exhibited in a file that is of a
normal length.  I have been recording full performances lasting
hours, and flac always compresses the files below 70% of the original
size.

Another thing to note is that "--best --no-padding" will not create a
file that is larger than the original.  Perhaps the only reason
you're seeing the file grow when flac-compressed is that you're
allowing the default padding to add to the file size.  I am not
familiar with WavPack, but perhaps it does not add empty padding for
metadata.

One of the other volunteers looking at this problem produced a 3-
minute track that was supposed to have the same problem, but it ended
up compressing quite well ... 58% of the original size.  He's looking
into why he remembered having problems in the past.

If we can't reproduce this problem with normal-sized songs, then
perhaps the best solution is to recommend that users simply turn off
padding if they need to compress extremely short audio samples.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting