[Flac-dev] FLAC 24 bit test results

Josh Green josh at resonance.org
Mon Apr 2 12:02:11 PDT 2007

Thanks to those who sent in results for the 24 bit FLAC test I created.
Results were received for Windows, Linux, and Intel Mac.  All results
showed the identical poor compression ratio with the given test file.
This indicates that the issue is likely not related to a certain
platform/compiler.  I also tested FLAC with various other options like
integer only and turning off ASM optimizations (to see if the problem
code path could be narrowed down), which did result in different output
data, but the compression was slightly worse.

At this point I'm assuming that there is certain 24 bit data signals
which are causing poor performance from FLAC.

The next question becomes:

Is there a compression performance issue with the reference encoder in
relation to 24 bit or does the FLAC format itself have trouble
compressing these signals?

My current thought (or rather hope) is that its an issue with the
reference encoder.  Below is a set of other tests I performed on various
24 bit stereo audio samples.  As you can see, FLAC often has rather
comparable compression as Wavpack (under 7% or so difference).  There
are some cases where this difference reaches 20% though, which seems
like possible candidates exhibiting this issue.  Analysis of these FLAC
files showed that most chunks were encoded verbatim.

There is of course the possibility that the Wavpack format is able to
handle these problem audio chunks in a way which FLAC cannot.

I'm not knowledgeable enough in the theory, mathematics or code base of
FLAC to debug this issue, and hope that someone else will put some
effort into discovering what the cause of this is.

Best regards,
	Josh Green

Other 24 bit stereo samples tested:

File