[Flac-dev] Getting subframe type=verbatim on 16 bit files

James Smith jsmith at landmarkdigital.com
Thu Sep 7 08:01:21 PDT 2006

Here's how I set up the data for processing:

    // For moving data into 32 bit shape
    uint8_t            *buffer8    = NULL;
    uint16_t        *buffer16    = NULL;
    uint32_t        *buffer32    = NULL;
    unsigned        sample32;
    unsigned        sample, channel;
    uint32_t        bitsPerSample = this->get_bits_per_sample();

    numFrames = inData.GetSize();
    numChannels = this->get_channels();

    // How big is our sample that we want to give to FLACC?
    // bitsPerSample is 8,16,24,32
    // So 8 = no change for numFrames
    //    16 = half it
    //    24,32 = 1/4 the needs..
    if (bitsPerSample == 16)
        numFrames = numFrames / 2;
    else if (bitsPerSample > 16)
        numFrames = numFrames / 4;
    // if stereo then spread data over both channels and not just one!
    if (numChannels == 2)  numFrames = numFrames / 2;

    // buffer for FLAC use
    flacBuffer = (int32_t **)calloc(numChannels, sizeof(int32_t *));

    if (flacBuffer == NULL)
        return false;

    // channel buffer to zero 1 or 2 (stereo)
    for(channel = 0; channel < numChannels; ++channel)
    {
        flacBuffer[channel] = NULL;
    }

    // set up buffers for channels
    for(channel = 0; channel < numChannels; ++channel)
    {
        flacBuffer[channel] = (int32_t*)calloc(numFrames, sizeof(int32_t));
        if (flacBuffer[channel] == NULL)
                    return false;
    }

   // uint32_t tempjunk;

    // Need to get our pcm Data into 32 bit shape and with with channels...
    // See how sample32 is the index into the 32 bit array
    // while the sample index can handle things when stereo (i.e. 2
channels) occurs.

    switch(bitsPerSample)
    {

        case SIXTEEN_BITS:
            buffer16 = (uint16_t*)inData.GetData(); // so we index thru out
data in 16 byte chunks
            for(sample = sample32 = 0; sample32 < numFrames; sample32++)
            {
                for(channel = 0; channel < numChannels; channel++, sample++)
                {
                    flacBuffer[channel][sample32] =
(uint32_t)(uint16_t)buffer16[sample];
                }
            }
            break;

            }

     set_total_samples_estimate (numFrames);  // note we are doing this
before the init function is called!
     return true;
}

immediately.