[Flac-dev] Metadata & RDF

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 04:17:32 PDT 2006

On 30/09/06, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 12:21:53PM +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
>
> > Basically I'd like to embed arbitrary (meta)data in flac files.
>
> I agree it would be best to define a new block type for RDF
> metadata, or probably better for random attached XML data,

That sounds reasonable, but...

and
> let the xml parser figure out what schema it's using. It's easy
> to recognize RDF-in-XML

Not always - the following is valid (though rather unusual!) RDF/XML :

http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/ARPServlet?URI=http%3A%2F%2Fdannyayers.com%2Fcode%2Fminimal-xhtml.html&PARSE=Parse+URI%3A+&TRIPLES_AND_GRAPH=PRINT_TRIPLES&FORMAT=PNG_EMBED&EMBEDDED_RDF=on&ANON_NODES_EMPTY=on&NODE_COLOR=Black&NODE_TEXT_COLOR=Blue&EDGE_COLOR=Darkgreen&EDGE_TEXT_COLOR=Red&FONT_SIZE=10&ORIENTATION=LR#graph

but retains flexibility for people to
> add other XML encoded metadata in the future.

Yep. Hmm, if there was a neat way to provide the media (mime) type it
could also be useful for non-XML docs as well. Otherwise an easy
workaround for RDF might be to specify that the root element for RDF
docs must be <rdf:RDF
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#" /> (as was the
case in the pre-2004 RDF specs).

Cheers,