[Flac-dev] wasted bits and audio drop-outs

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 7 10:49:15 PDT 2006

--- Jay Yukie <jukie06 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I hear momentary audio drop-outs (silences) in some flacs I have
> encoded.  These occur at the same time as "wasted bits" messages in
> my mplayer output.
>
> [flac @ 0x860fb00]coding type: constant
> [flac @ 0x860fb00]1 wasted bits
> [flac @ 0x860fb00]coding type: constant
> [flac @ 0x860fb00]6 wasted bits
>
> Is there a way to prevent these at encode-time?

no, there's no option for disabling the 'wasted bits' checking.

are you sure the dropouts aren't in the original input?  'constant'
subframes are used when the signal goes DC (i.e. stays at one
constant value) which will manifest as silence.

try decoding to WAV with flac itself and play the WAV file.  and/
or try playing the FLAC file in xmms or some other player and see
what happens.