[Flac-dev] Quick plug: Squeezebox2

Dan Sully daniel at electricrain.com
Thu Mar 10 15:04:07 PST 2005

* Josh Coalson shaped the electrons to say...

>> We're doing native FLAC on the device now, in addition to
>> visualizers, 802.11g and more.
>
>this is cool, I added a status item on the FLAC site for it.
>
>just as a data point for us, can you comment on the cpu that
>is doing the FLAC decoding (cpu type, speed, etc) and how
>much of the processing budget it consumed by FLAC decoding?

The CPU is a Ubicom IP3k - http://www.ubicom.com/processors/ip3000-family.htm

And here's our board: http://www.seanadams.com/ip3k/cpu_module

It's a 250Mhz 8-way multi-threaded chip.

Our DSP developer says:

"It's taking a little bit more than it otherwise should (about 50-75 mips out
of 250) because it's a little memory hungry. the ip3k memory constraints
require us to use a slower area of memory (off-chip rather than on-chip).
if we could use on-chip, it would be closer to 25-30 mips"

-D
--
<nil> It sucks to discover that you are the foremost authority on some set of things when you've got a problem.