[Flac-dev] Apple's Core Audio File container format

oliver oli smoerk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 06:33:41 PDT 2005

Avuton Olrich wrote:
> On 7/11/05, Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-flac at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
>
>>and I'm thinking of adding support for FLAC in a CAF container
>>as well. Is anyone else working on this? If so please let me
>>know so we can agree on how FLAC should be contained with CAF.
>

> I'm sorry, but what are the advantages to the different containers, or
> this container in particular? I mean this is nothing different than
> flac/OggFlac, which are little to none from what I've read (around
> hydrogenaudio), am I wrong?

the first thing that comes to mind is the channel layout capabilities of
CAF, it's more advanced than Ogg or Flac.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MusicAudio/Reference/CAFSpec/CAF_spec/chapter_3_section_5.html

is there any other format that can properly tag an audio file as an
ambisonics 1st order file?

i havn't looked into CAF before, it looks promising.

my question is: if you put Flac in a CAF container, it's not playable
with any FLAC compatible player. FLAC is also a lossless format, which
means you can recode it. this would be a good time to fix design
"errors" (if there are any) in Flac for CAF/Flac.

btw, do you also want to put wavpack into the CAF container? (to Erik)