[Flac-dev] Quicktime + FLAC?

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Fri Oct 1 23:08:20 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph Giles" <giles at xiph.org>
To: "illiminable" <ogg at illiminable.com>
Cc: <flac-dev at xiph.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 02, 2004 1:22 PM
Subject: Re: [Flac-dev] Quicktime + FLAC?

> On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:21:03PM +0800, illiminable wrote:
>
>> I had a look a few times for detailed info on quicktime, and it all
>> looked
>> pretty painful.
>
> It didn't look that bad to me; just a lot of time figuring out how
> you're supposed to do things. But then, I have some background in MacOS
> programming.

Hehe... yeah... after you figure it out... it's just the simple matter of
coding it :)

But as with directshow, figuring out how it works is by far the most
difficult and time consuming thing ! At least with directshow there is a few
hundred thousand pages of docs you can search through.

For quicktime... i've come up with a dozen or so .pdf's, which don't really
tell me what i need to know ! Though i admit, it was a pretty half-hearted
attempt i made to search just to see what i was up against.

> However, people in the past have hit bugs pretty fast. That's part of
> why I've not been inspired to try. Things may well be better now, so
> please do give it a go.
>
>> But it's certainly one of those things that has been on my really long
>> like-to-do list. Since i primarily use iTunes (under windows) for audio,
>> it
>> would be nice to be able to put my various .ogg files in the same
>> playlist
>> as the rest of my music.
>
> Have you tried the plugins at http://qtcomponents.sf.net/ ? They work
> for me (with vorbis, I've not tried speex) with iTunes on MacOS X. The
> 'load everything into memory' hack is annoying, but better than nothing.

I tried the vorbis one once, it worked ok... it's probably a lot better now.

Though i'd really like a unified solution, rather than 4 or five different
plug-ins which are 75% the same all doing their own thing. And also the
ability to add new codecs easily without writing the entire thing each time.

Short-term, yeah it's better than nothing, but long-term i think a unified
solution would be a lot better.

Zen.