[Flac-dev] RE: basic encoder help

Andrew Gatt andrew.gatt at cmatic.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 02:24:05 PST 2004

>I'm currently facing the same problem.
>I added the libFLAC++ libraries to my MSVC application.
>I implemented the same quality levels (0-8) as used in the FLAC frontend application.
>But the resulting files are remarkable different between my application and the FLAC frontend >(although using the same settings).

It did turn out to be something in my byte ordering in the end as suggested. I tested the decompressed file against the original wav file and it checked out and played fine, but when i rearranged the byte ordering to use signed char instead of the unsigned chars i was feeding it, the compression ratio was greatly improved. As a quick hack i ended up with:

for (int i=0; i<2352; i+=4) {			// 2352 because number of bytes in frame of CDDA

the (char) casts made all the difference. I'll change the software to use all signed chars, but this works for now.



More information about the Flac-dev mailing list