[Flac-dev] Legal sample rates

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 16 09:30:09 PST 2004

--- Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-flac at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:33:42 -0800 (PST)
> Josh Coalson <xflac at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > 11025 is a valid sample rate, but 9 channels is not a valid
> > # of channels.
> >
> > the FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_NOT_STREAMABLE error means you are
> > violating the "set streamable subset" setting that is in effect.
> >
> > I guess FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_NOT_STREAMABLE could be expanded
> > to FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_NOT_STREAMABLE_BAD_SAMPLE_RATE,
> > FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_NOT_STREAMABLE_BAD_BITS_PER_SAMPLE etc
> > but it doesn't seem worth changing the API for.
>
> Without valid feedback fro libflac about why I am getting
> FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_NOT_STREAMABLE I am completely up the creek
> without a paddle. The current state of affairs prevents me from
> supplying the user with accurate information about what they have
> done wrong. It means that if I release what I have now users are
> going to have something go wrong and not know why. That means they
> will end up sending me emails.

I understand your frustration, but with the current API you
have to translate FLAC__STREAM_ENCODER_NOT_STREAMABLE into:
1. blocksize must be one of 192,576,1152,2304,4608,256,512,
   1024,2048,4096,8192,16384,32768
2. sample rate must be one of 8000,16000,22050,24000,32000,
   44100,48000,96000
3. bits-per-sample must be one of 8,12,16,20,24

> PS: I seem to be having a great deal of trouble with the xiph.org
>     mail server. It seems to be silently deleting some of my emails.
>     I sometimes need to resend my emails 2 or 3 times before it
>     gets through to the list.

yes.  spam is a big problem so I think stuff that gets tagged
is diverted for approval (I haven't exercised moderator power on
the Xiph lists yet).  I haven't seen any mails get lost (maybe
resends/duplicates that are cued up get deleted) but sometimes
they do get delayed a couple of days.