[Flac-dev] Re: FLAC in the news

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Thu Nov 20 01:10:01 PST 2003

Josh Coalson wrote:
> FYI,
> Unless you've been checking the FLAC site you might have
> missed some encouraging things that have happened in the
> last few months.
>   and I think there is now a working directshow filter and the
>   beginnings of FLAC support in matroska.
> Josh

- the Dshow filter is a decoder filter only that does not come with a
FLAC source filter yet ( like CoreAAC and CoreVorbis ), so it cant play
FLAC files. If somebody updated Tobias' Ogg source filter it could well
play OggFLAC for sure, this required only minimal changes so the Ogg
splitter could recognize FLAC in Ogg and call the decoder in the
playback graph.

- there is a CoreFLAC encoder filter also, allowing to capture sound
into FLAC on DirectShow based capture tools.

- Mosu added FLAC muxing into matroska now in mkvmerge 0.7.7 , as well
as automatic chapter creation and title/artist tagging from CUE sheets,
  so matroska with FLAC can be used to store a complete music album in a
single file, and including cover JPEGs and lyrics as text files or
subtitles. The sourcefile has to be a OggFLAC file ! matroska's tagging
system is well defined and compatible with id3v1/2, ape v2, riff tags, etc.

Christian