[Flac-dev] FlacPak

Curt Sampson cjs at cynic.net
Wed Nov 19 12:17:03 PST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> > > I've thought of doing lossy compression before on instruments, but I'd
> > > much rather stick to lossless, at least for now.

Honestly, stick to lossless. I mean, to the point where you can get
your exact samples back. Sure, an S900 sample is not so great quality,
but having come from the era where I did the 13-bit Ensonique stuff,
you know, even then we were saying that the Jupiter-8 had a sound all
it's own. The stuff you ripped in on your Ensonique (or, God help me,
older sampler) will never sound the same played back on something else,
but the point is, if you ever want to go back to that sound, you can
probably buy a used sampler at some point, cheaply or not, and load this
stuff into it, but if you do a lossful compression, you're going to lose
the character, without a doubt. This is not even about sound quality any
more: this is about history, and the way that crappy sampler actually
recorded whatever piece of metal you happened to be banging on at the
time...

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs at cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org