[Flac-dev] FlacPak

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 10:16:15 PST 2003

--- tech at bishop.dhs.org wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:34:05PM -0800, Josh Green wrote:
> > > Steve Lhomme wrote:
> > >
> > > You might try to contact the makers of FruityLoops. Right now
> their
> > > samples packs are in Ogg format (stored in a WAV IIRC). They like
> open
> > > and free formats (they also use the LAME encoder).
> >
> > I've thought of doing lossy compression before on instruments, but
> I'd
> > much rather stick to lossless, at least for now. There are issues
> to be
> > sorted out when doing lossy compression, specifically in regards to
> loop
> > points. It would be nice to get the nice compression ratios that
> Ogg has
> > to offer, but in the world of high quality instruments, I don't
> think it
> > makes as much sense. I'll leave some expansion to allow for
> something
> > like this to be implemented in the future, though. Cheers.
> > 	Josh Green
>
> Actually, if you look closer, he said that the audio format was WAV
> (not
> vorbis), but the container was ogg.  And, as you probably know, there
> is
> support to have FLAC in an ogg container.  So it would definetly make
> sense to talk to them about your project.

I'm not sure about that... the only way "samples packs are in Ogg
format (stored in a WAV IIRC)" makes sense is if you substitute
"Vorbis" for "Ogg" since Ogg is just a container and it doesn't
seem that useful to store Ogg-anything in a WAVE file.  It would
be possible to store raw Vorbis in WAVE chunks though.