[Flac-dev] flac123 revival

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 12 10:36:01 PST 2003

--- Sigmund Augdal <sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 03:58:22PM +0100, Sander Roobol wrote:
> > Hello Dan Johnson, hello list,
> >
> > It's really weird that there's no working command line player for
> FLAC
> > files. Dan Johnson created flac123 (licensed under the GPL) to fill
> that
> > gap, and started the flac-tools project.
>
> Starting with version 0.5.2, VLC ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc )
> supports
> flac. VLC is fully useable from the command line. Flac support is
> still very
> basic in VLC, but it's a start :).
>
> If anyone wants to test it, please report any trubble to me or
> vlc-devel at videolan.org

Cool, I added a link on the FLAC page.

As for flac123, it would actually be nice to revive that, and at
the same time migrate the plugins there (to flac-tools I mean,
kind of like the separate vorbis packages libvorbis and
vorbis-tools).  It's all getting to be a little more that I can
keep up with right now and most of the TODO items now are in the
tools.