[Flac-dev] CD Baby using FLAC to archive 40,000 CDs

Derek at CD Baby dereklist at cdbaby.com
Wed Jun 25 11:10:08 PDT 2003

> Actually, I was more interested in how you set up the disk array.

I think we just set up 3ware IDE raid cards with 200-gig drives,
all on 1 PC for now (3/4 slots) and seems to work OK.

No case would fit them so it's just sprawled out on a desk away from
everything else with 4 power supplies powering the drives.

When it's time to buy more disks then I'll have to set up a separate
PC with more RAID cards and figure out when that day comes how to
make them all accessible through a single IP.  Maybe NFS.  Not sure.

> > But definitely doing them as individual songs. Not as a whole CD.
> > We need the separate songs for working with services like iTunes +
> > Rhapsody.
>
> Um...there's no reason you can't extract individual songs from a flac
> file based on the TOC in it, if someone would just write a little
> utility to do so. (I may end up doing it one day if nobody else does.)
> And then you won't lose the stuff in the pregap on live CDs, and it also
> makes the storage and naming easier to deal with.

Interesting!
I'll look into it.  Thansk for the tip.

--
Derek Sivers, CD Baby, Hostbaby