[Flac-dev] Multimedia library and shell extension

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Fri Jun 6 18:20:03 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 10:52:09PM +0200, CarstenBreuerCBLex at openwin.de wrote:

> Here comes what i want:
>
> Since flac doesn't have any recurse functions, a batch or something like
> this is needed. Linux users have a powerfull shell to do it, but under the
> DOS box there is sometimes a big problem with the names. I have changed a
> project of mine to execute flac recurse over a directory. This was quick
> and dirty, but works fine.
>
> Im thinking of to write a shell extension to handle flac and other
> multimedia files in the windows explorer and perhaps also under KDE. I
> have written one for Windows (CBShellExt <see sf.net>), but have now idea
> if and how it works under KDE.

You can use cygwin32 on Windows to script things as you would on a Unix
system.  For example:

find /directory/with/WAVs -name '*.wav' | xargs flac -8 -V --delete-input-file

would very simply compress them all, verify and then delete the .wav.  It
also handles long filenames much more gracefully than the standard DOS
command interpreter.

But the easiest thing to do is to use a CD audio extractor ('ripper') which
can compress to FLAC right away (grip does this on Unix platforms).  That
way you don't have to deal with large directories of WAV files in the first
place.

--
 - mdz