[Flac-dev] Incomplete format description?

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 20 15:15:02 PST 2003

--- Tor-Einar Jarnbjo <Tor-Einar_Jarnbjo at grosch-link.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> have I just overseen a link, or is the format description on
> http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html lacking information on how to
> actually decode the residual partitions to PCM sample data?

you are correct, it is not explicit enough.  the encoded residual
is a string of Rice codes of the form 000nnn, where 000 is a unary
portion and nnn is the binary portion of length k, k being the
rice parameter.  but there is a signed->unsigned transform before
rice coding that needs to be documented.