[Flac-dev] FLAC 1.0.4 beta released

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 10 23:12:02 PDT 2002

All,

I have just finished uploading the source release for FLAC 1.0.4 beta
to Sourceforge; there are no binary releases.  See the included
doc/html/news.html for the changes since 1.0.3; there are quite a few.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/flac/flac-1.0.4_beta-src.tar.gz?download

Please beat up on this as much as possible in the next week or two and
try and turn up bugs.  Here's a suggested test plan:

configure --enable-exhaustive-tests
[also optionally try out different combinations of --enable-debug
--disable-asm-optimizations --enable-3dnow --enable-sse, as
appropriate]
make
make check   [NOTE this will run for several hours]
make install

Then try making some flac files (AIFF and 24-bit WAVE experiments
especially valuable), try tagging with Vorbis comments using metaflac
(non ISO-8859-1 charsets especially valuable), id3v1 and v2 tags,
checking for tag support in the plugins (note the new config window in
the XMMS plugin).

Special note: 24-bit playback in plugins is currently supported by
dithering the output to 16 bps.  If you want to try and test raw 24-bit
out, delete the "#defing FLAC__DO_DITHER" in all the plugin source
before compiling.  Eventually this will be configurable in the plugins.
 If you can write this *please do* and send me a patch.

Also, I noticed too late that there is no "clean" target for the doc/
directory.  I'll also welcome patches for that.

Thanks everyone.