[Flac-dev] Back & Fourth

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 8 22:23:05 PDT 2002

--- Dave Costa <dave at happeworld.com> wrote:
> So let me get this straight...
>
> I can put a CD in my computer and copy it to my hard drive as a wav
> files.
> Then by using FLAC to "compress" said wavs into .flac files.
> Resulting in approx. half the file size.
>
> Then later I can convert the FLAC files back to wav and
> the end up with the EXACT wav file I had before ?
>
> If this is the case, then great, but can you really cut out half the
> data,
> then convert back and end up with the EXACT wav file from before?

The audio data will be exact.  FLAC stores only the 'fmt ' subchunk
(which is metadata) and the 'data' subchunk (which is the audio
data).  It does not store other subchunks.

If your wave file is one 'fmt ' subchunk followed by one 'data'
chunk, the decoded wave file will be identical to the original.