[Flac-dev] FLAC for xine

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 12:05:01 PDT 2002

--- Mike Melanson <melanson at pcisys.net> wrote:
> 	I am having trouble with the audio decoder portion. Ideally, I
> would like to take the relevant portions of code from libflac that
> are in
> charge of decoding audio and create a decoder plugin for xine. Is
> there a
> function in the FLAC codebase that will take a chunk of
> FLAC-compressed
> data and output a buffer on decoded audio samples?

No.  The decoder in libFLAC is designed to a 'pull' model and
you need a 'push' one.  There's no 100% accurate way to determine
frame boundaries in native FLAC without decoding.  A 'push'
decoder is possible but it requires a different design.

I don't know about Xine but it may still be possible within
its design to utilize a 'pull' decoder.