[Flac-dev] Flac compression on 24/96 files

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 12:32:04 PDT 2002

--- Paul Kubicz <pkube at umich.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is an inquiry which could be answered by looking in the code
> (which
> I will do), but a direct answer by the expert would be interesting
> and
> useful.
>
> Given a similar musical content (i.e. same dynamic range and
> frequency
> response) encoded in both 24/96 and 16/44.1 formats, will flac
> produce
> roughly the same size compressed file for both formats?

I'm not an expert here but I would guess probably not.  the
difference is in the noise, which a lossless codec has to
preserve.  if you do two recordings of the same noisy source,
the one with the higher sample rate will have more information
in the form of noise.

a higher bit depth should theoretically not make as much of a
difference assuming the DACs inject the same amount of noise,
but I don't know if that holds in reality with higher bit
depths.