[Flac-dev] FLAC and Surround

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 4 11:02:02 PST 2002

--- Martin Saleteg <martin at ninja.se> wrote:
> I'm new to this list, and I would like to know about the current
> status of
> FLAC and surround formats (5.1, 7.1). I know it is possible to
> compress
> interleaved multichannel files with FLAC, but does it in any way have
> any
> multichannel matrix, that collects common information from all
> channels and
> use this when compressing?

It has no multi-channel decorrelation only because I don't
know how to do it and I haven't really been driven enough
to investigate it or experiment.

If anyone knows of some unpatented methods for it I don't
mind putting it in.

Josh

P.S. I hope these home theater guys stop at 7.1 because FLAC
only supports 8 channels per stream.  It's like that Steve
Martin skit, where he gets stereo, then quadrophonic (sounds
better), then octophonic (sounds better), then googlephonic,
but that sounds like shit so he gets a new needle for his
turntable.