[Flac-dev] new CUESHEET metadata block

Steve Lhomme steve.lhomme at free.fr
Wed Dec 4 03:04:01 PST 2002

En réponse à Steve Lhomme <steve.lhomme at free.fr>:

> En réponse à Josh Coalson <xflac at yahoo.com>:
>
> > --- smoerk <smoerk at gmx.de> wrote:
> > > good idea, i'm always putting *.cue files to the directory with the
>
> > > ripped audio files. but it would prefer one file per song and not
> > one
> > > big file for the whole cd.
> >
> > My vision of how the players should work is this:
> >
> > - make one album.flac with CUESHEET
> > - player loads album.flac, sees CUESHEET, calculates CDDB id
> >   (or CDindex, or custom hash), looks up metadata in database
>
> Mmm, yes the CDDB feature would be great. Is it based on an ID per disk
> or an ID
> per track ? If so, how do you want to integrate it on a track basis ?
> (CD ID + track number ?)

Never mind, I found the information I wanted :
http://www.freedb.org/modules.php?name=Sections&sop=viewarticle&artid=6

The CDDB ID is computed with data in the CD TOC. It's not something that is
written on the CD (too bad).

For integration on a Track basis, the ID would be to store in each track/file
the Disc ID, the CD-track number and the CD-index number. Then when you have all
files from a CD with all these informations you can reconstruct the CD the same
way it was originally (well, not exactly, but a decent copy).

So in MCF, I added a DiscID element in each Track, a DiscTrack and DiscIndex
elements in the audio Track properties. To have a full CD, you will need to use
a different Segment for each track. Otherwise you can use Chapters to "virtual
cut" the data, but you'll be missing the CD features (Track number, index number).