[Flac-dev] Re: Need AMD debugging help

Jason Lunz lunz at falooley.org
Wed Aug 14 14:02:02 PDT 2002

xflac at yahoo.com said:
> I have gotten a few similar bug reports about encoding
> errors with FLAC.  The common features are:
>
> - Repeatedly encoding the same file with verify will have
>   verify errors some of the time (looks like aroung 50%) and
>   the verify errors will occur in different places each time.
>
> - This is happening on AMD PCs running Windows.  More reports
>   come from Athlon systems but there has been one from a Duron.
>   More reports come from win2k but there has been one from
>   win98se and XP.
>
> - Some people are using only the win32 binary flac release but
>   a couple have compiled from source, even under cygwin, with
>   similar results (see links at the end).

These attributes (especially their randomness) are all consistent with
slight overheating or memory problems in the hardware. Overheating is
common with AMD systems and will often only show up when doing something
like FLAC encoding. If the problem is overheating, just opening up the
case will often drop the system's temperature several degrees and make
these kinds of problems go away. If it's slighly bad memory, then
memtest86 will likely find it: http://www.memtest86.com/

Jason