[Flac-dev] Re: FLAC to mp3 batch converter?

Christian Lambert clambert at sgi.com
Wed Apr 3 16:52:02 PST 2002

Ok! I understand perfectly what you mean now.   It would be very nice
to be able to replace the ripping stage with flac indeed :)  Let me know
if you get it to work. In the meantime, the script that Jason provided does
the job I wanted.  I just changed it so that it preserves the original filename
from flac to mp3.

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Robin Pollard wrote:

| Christian,
|
| Sorry I don't think I was so clear with my explaination of what I
| am doing.  Your requirement flac -> mp3 is really a special case
| of ripping, if you think of the entire chain....
|
| normal ripping:
| CD -> wav -> mp3
|
| Your case is
| [CD -> wav ->] flac -> wav -> mp3
|
| Which is equivalent to:
| flac -> wav -> mp3
|
| I need this too and am proposing to use a ripping tool and simply
| replace the cdparanoia stage with a flac decode.  (and replace the
| CDDB with ID3info from the flac file)  I was going to use rip for
| this as I am familiar with the script having patched in flac support
| and I get all the general options and multiple encoder support from
| the script.
|
| RGDS,
| Robin.
|
| ---- Christian Lambert <clambert at sgi.com> wrote:
| >
| > Actually what you are describing it just "ripping" which I already
| > do
| > with "grip" the nice GTK frontend for ripping into flac or mp3.
| >
| > I filed a bug directly with grip to have them update the command
| > line
| > for flac, but oterwise it works real great to encode CDs directly
| >
| > into flac format.  It uses cdparanoia's library to do the ripping
| > then puts the id3 tags into the filenames,etc...
| >
| > If grip isn't added already on the flac webpage as a supported
| > gui-frontend
| > it should be.
| >
| > What was I looking for is just the flac to mp3 script that takes
| > my ripped CDs into flac that I could convert into mp3.  Another
| > use
| > of that is that sometime I am building compilations for my car
| > mp3
| > player and I could just convert on the fly to mp3 from flac using
| > the script to build my custom cd.
| >
| > Thanks again for all your input!
| >
| > On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Robin Pollard wrote:
| >
| > | Hi Christian,
| > |
| > | There is a perl script called rip (rip.sourceforge.net) that
| > I was
| > | looking to alter for a similar requirment (flacs at home -> mp3s
| > | on laptop).  I patched flac support into it for the encoder a
| > couple
| > | of months ago.
| > |
| > | At the moment it uses cdparanoia to rip from CD but should not
| > be
| > | hard to add flac as an alternative 'ripper' to make wavs and
| > then
| > | you can use the encoder of your choice on the wav.
| > |
| > | If I get time to write the patch to rip from flac to mp3 I will
| > send
| > | you a copy but don't hold your breath :)
| > |
| > | Cheers,
| > | Robin.
| > |