[Flac-dev] FLAC format

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 12:03:12 PDT 2001

--- Ingo Ralf Blum <ingoralfblum at gmx.de> wrote:
> another question. Does FLAC need the metadata at the beginning of a
> file. Assume
> you open a FLAC file in VirtualDub, for example. When you cut out the
> first half
> of the WAV and the write out an AVI, the first half of the data is
> missing,
> which includes the fLaC magic number and the metadata. Is this file
> still
> readable then? I think you should put the marker and the metadata
> into the
> WAVEFORMATEX (or WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE).

the magic number and STREAMINFO metadata block are mandatory.
some of the fields are allowed to be 0 to specify that the
values are unknown; check the format page for the full info:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#metadata_block_streaminfo

I would hope that the act of cutting can trigger some
programmable piece of code in the filter that can create
the new STREAMINFO block and prepend it.