[Flac-dev] new ordinal typing

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Tue Jun 26 12:52:08 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 12:49:04PM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:

> After working on some more plugins I realized that the naming for flac's
> ordinal types were not going to cut it.  There is too much chance for
> conflicts with other libraries/programs with names like 'bool' and 'uint32'
> so I went back and prefixed all flac ordinal types with 'FLAC__'.  It makes
> the code a little harder to read until you get used to it but should make the
> interface more stable.  It's all been checked in over the weekend.  See
> include/FLAC/ordinals.h for the main changes.

I don't know how you feel about adding a build-time dependency to flac (I
personally prefer shared code over fewer dependencies), but this is one part of
what glib does for you, and it does it very well.  See:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/glib/glib-basic-types.html

You get fixed-size integral data types that are guaranteed to be the same
across platforms.

--
 - mdz