[Flac-dev] ERROR: mismatch in decoded data, verify FAILED!

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 10:48:34 PDT 2001

> > I tried to clip both ends of the original wav, but the error was
> > only
> > reproduceable, when I cut of the end of the wav. When i cut off
> > only one
> > second from the start of the soundfile verify did not complain
> > anymore.
> > So the "rest" is now about 25 megabytes.
>
> Interesting.  According to the transcript you sent, the error
> actually occurred
> 60% of the way through the file.  Since it doesn't happen when you
> trim a bit
> off the beginning, it sounds like it probably isn't being triggered
> by a
> specific point, but by the accumulated state of the stream (or some
> other
> cumulative effect).

The encoder doesn't keep any state beyond the frame boundary,
except the implied starting sample.  In other words, to trim
the beginning of a file down, you just have to trim off
n*blocksize samples.  You can actually use --skip to do this.
Just keep increasing the value for n until you find the
first trouble block, then strip n*blocksize samples off.

Once you hit a trouble block you can usually just cut off
everything after that one block also and still get the same
behavior.