[Flac-dev] Re: Inclusion of debian packaging info

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 11:33:15 PDT 2001

> >- Debian source packages essentially consist of a copy of the
> upstream source
> >  tarball (intact, when possible, so that signature verification and
> the like
> >  can be performed) and a compressed diff which includes any
> debian-specific
> >  changes.  This makes it easy for the user to recognize what
> changes were made
> >  to the source code for the Debian package, and allows the user to
> selectively
> >  add or omit such changes.
>
> it's hard enough for the average user to find out how to compile
> source
> packages and checkout from CVS. The Ogg sources also includes a
> debian/
> dir and it was much easier to build deb packages from this.

Actually I am kind of leaning toward the scenario Matt is
describing.  It seems to me that once 1.0 is out somebody
will take on the job of maintaining packages for different
distros.  These things will get scattered around enough so
that it shouldn't be a problem finding the latest release
in package form.

If you are building periodically from CVS then it seems like
extra work to make a package out of it just to install.
Whenever I do such a thing with someone else's proggie
I usually just configure --prefix=/some/temp/place && make &&
make install and just run out of there.  I guess it's
slightly more complicated with flac because of the plugin
but not too bad.