[Flac-dev] beta 10 candidate checked in

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Thu Jun 14 18:43:25 PDT 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 11:42:27AM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:

> > AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(flac, 0.9)
> >
> > I've never had to run autoconf manually before so I'm not really sure
> what
> > I'm doing.
> >
> hmm... not sure what the syntax error is; did you run aclocal first?  but it
> does remind me to update the version number.

Creating the distribution with 'make dist' will use the version number from
configure.in, which makes it hard to create a new release without remembering
to update it.  I noticed the following in include/FLAC/format.h:

/* VERSION should come from configure */
#ifdef VERSION
#define FLAC__VERSION_STRING VERSION
#else
#define FLAC__VERSION_STRING "0.10"
#endif

Is there any circumstance where you would want to support building without
VERSION defined?  Supplying a default leaves you vulnerable to some subtle
bugs; for example, if/when a config.h is used instead of -Dvar=val, forgetting
to include config.h would cause the default value to be used instead.  If you
change this code, then configure.in could be a single place to change the
version number.

--
 - mdz