[Flac-dev] libFLAC changes

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 13 11:52:16 PDT 2001

OK, I made a few reorganizations to the code I've been wanting
to do before 1.0.  Nothing major, but if you are integrating
libFLAC into another program it will be of interest:

First, I made changes so that the encoder is now called a
stream encoder everywhere.  I was going to write a file encoder
but realized the only use for such a thing would be if someone
needed to seek through the input while encoding, which seems
like too minor a feature right now.

Then I revamped the encoder and decoder interfaces to be a
little more object oriented.  There are more formal constructors
and destructors: *_new() replaces *_get_new_instance(), *_delete()
replaces *_free_instance(), and the public read-only variables
were moved to protected structures with get methods.  So instead
of setting the public vars then calling *_init(), you just pass
them to *_init() directly.

Finally, I changed 'i386' to 'ia32' everywhere, which makes the
naming more consistent, and changed the '.s' extension for NASM
files back to '.nasm'.

The docs are updated too now.