[Flac-dev] documentation for interfacing with libflac?

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 13:51:37 PDT 2001

> I just joined the development team for audacity, a corss platform
> open source multitrack audio editor.
>
> I would like to add support for importing and exporting files in FLAC
> format.
>
> I was wondering if any of you could point me to some documentation
> about using libflac to add FLAC support to other programs?

(note to self... write libFLAC documentation :)

I'll put this high on my list.  I realize that the key for adoption
of any new format is good docs.  I think the format docs are OK but
libFLAC docs are definitely needed.  Like Matt says, until then there
are lots of examples from flac and the plugins but feel free to ask
about anything that's not clear.

As a primer, libFLAC has a stream decoder, a file decoder wrapper
around that, and a stream encoder.  For the stream en/decoder you
create and instance, set the parameters, and provide callbacks that
get called when there's something to output (data, metadata, or
errors).  Then you manually feed input data to the instance.  There
is no threading to it.

The file decoder provides one of the callbacks as a convenience and
may be simpler for you to use.