[Flac-dev] streaming flac?

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Sat Jun 9 07:23:13 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 06:04:53PM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:

> --- "smoerk at gmx.de" <smoerk at gmx.de> wrote:
> > is there a solution to stream flac files? maybe it's possible to
> stream
> > a ogg-flac file through the icecast2 server, but is ogg-flac working?
> >
> I think Matt Zimmerman hacked one version to write FLAC into an Ogg wrapper
> but that's as far as it went.  I couldn't pick up the ball at that point, but
> it seems theoretically possible...

I believe icecast needs to know things like the bitrate of the encoded data,
which would be codec-specific, so icecast would need be modified to know about
the hypothetical ogg-flac format.  It should also be possible to stream FLAC
data directly.

In order to make the most of Ogg, FLAC would have to omit some of its internal
streaming data, and let Ogg handle framing, restarting, etc.  Integration of
FLAC with Ogg seems like a good post-1.0 project.  Would it make most sense to
support both Ogg-encapsulated and plain FLAC formats, or switch to Ogg
full-time?

--
 - mdz