[Flac-dev] screen output

Jan Suhr jan.suhr at usa.net
Fri Jun 8 14:32:44 PDT 2001

Ok, thanks for version 0.10!
Now I'm compressing my music with flac and found a few points that I
dont like:
I started flac to compress 15 files with "flac -V *.wav" Flac finished
to compress the 15 files without problem. To check if Flac had problems
with one of the files I had to scroll the screen up all the
"XX% complete: frame YYY, wrote ZZZ ..." screen output. While flac
compressed my WAVs I used X to write this mail and so. After flac had
finished the job I changed to a virtual console but the <SHIFT> + <PG
UP> combination did not worked. So I had to use flac with the -t
argument again to see if all files were correct.
This is a point I dislike. I wish to see per default (!) one or two
output lines per file and not more! Something like:
"FLAC is compressing file xyz.wav: now XX% done"
is enough. FLAC produce similar output with the "-t" argument.
If I want to see the complete output (which is now the default) it
could be possible to give an "-information" argument.

To see possible warning messages I started flac by tiping "flac -V -s
*.wav". I hope FLAC will print warning messages although I used the
"-s" argument?! Is'n it?

One point to keep in mind for later after 1.0 releases: I wish that
FLAC 2.0 (or whenever flac has a file-format-change)  will accept (old)
.flac files as input and write an output flac-file in the new 2.0
format. This will be to update all my old flac files to the new flac
format in an easy way.

congratulation, FLAC compressed my >1GB WAVs with no problems

I hope you understand my bad english!

Thank you!

Jan