[Flac-dev] news

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 10:31:16 PDT 2001

--- Matt Zimmerman <mdz at debian.org> wrote:
> My only complaint right now is not FLAC's fault, but you might have
> some ideas.
> I have configured grip <http://www.nostatic.org/grip/grip.html> to
> use FLAC to
> encode CD tracks, so I can just select oggenc or flac from a menu and
> everything works.  That is, everything except the progress bar.  grip
> was
> designed for mp3 and other fixed-bitrate encoding methods, so its
> progress
> meter works by checking the size of the output file and comparing it
> to the
> final expected size (calculated based on the bitrate).
>
> It would be nice if FLAC (and other encoders) supported some standard
> method
> for indicating progress, so that things like this could work.  This
> could be as
> simple as periodically printing a line with only an ASCII decimal
> number to be
> interpreted as a percentage, or as fancy as a separate library that
> could
> display progress data in many different styles (human- and
> machine-readable).

This would definitely be useful; I think if you get ripper
developers on board it is pretty easy to implement what
they agree to.  Grip might be a good place to start since
Mike seems to be pretty responsive.

The new one-line stats in flac has an easily parseable percentage
number for each file.  I don't know if the carriage-return-
without-linefeed messes up the ripper but I think it would
be possible to write a little wrapper script around flac
that reformats the data to what the ripper expects.