[Flac-dev] news

Matt Zimmerman mdz at debian.org
Wed Jul 18 18:34:58 PDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 11:24:43AM -0700, Josh Coalson wrote:

> I've checked in the majority of the changes.  The only thing left are some
> recent 3dnow asm contributions and russian translation of the docs, which I
> will check in today.  And the PIC problems with the assembly are still
> unresolved (more on that later).  Let me know if I've missed anything.

My only complaint right now is not FLAC's fault, but you might have some ideas.
I have configured grip <http://www.nostatic.org/grip/grip.html> to use FLAC to
encode CD tracks, so I can just select oggenc or flac from a menu and
everything works.  That is, everything except the progress bar.  grip was
designed for mp3 and other fixed-bitrate encoding methods, so its progress
meter works by checking the size of the output file and comparing it to the
final expected size (calculated based on the bitrate).

It would be nice if FLAC (and other encoders) supported some standard method
for indicating progress, so that things like this could work.  This could be as
simple as periodically printing a line with only an ASCII decimal number to be
interpreted as a percentage, or as fancy as a separate library that could
display progress data in many different styles (human- and machine-readable).

What do you think?

--
 - mdz