[Flac-dev] FLAC 0.5 released

Mark Powell M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 05:58:58 PST 2001

On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Josh Coalson wrote:

> There is a slight slowdown due to the improved Rice coder, which
> yields a bit better compression.  For the versions up to the first
> official release I will probably be concentrating on performance.

I think this is a high priority. I'd like to use flac. That extra
compression it gives and it's free status appeal to me. However, I
compressed some .wavs of entire CDs yesterday. Shorten was taking 3
minutes for some whereas flac was 35mins. The space saving is not worth
that amount of time :(
  I could use Money's Audio, but I want to use something thats free with
source available. That's why I'm currently sticking with shorten.
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key