[Flac-dev] flac worse than shorten

Mark Powell M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk
Thu Feb 8 07:23:55 PST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Josh Coalson wrote:

> Mark, if it's possible, can you do me a favor...
> Try encoding the album as individual tracks and
> compare sizes.  The reason I ask is because of
> the way FLAC frames are numbered in the frame
> headers (if you check the format page you'll see
> what I mean).

Sorry, I don't :( I've split into individual files and found that shorten
compresses some files better and flac others. However, in total shorten
does better. I was just a little surprised, because I thought flac would
always out perform shorten?
  Cheers.

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Academic Information Services, Clifford Whitworth Building,
Salford University, Manchester, M5 4WT, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key