[Flac-dev] FLAC'n'MAC (was: the road to 1.0...)

Josh Coalson xflac at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 11:13:22 PDT 2001

> As Mike already knows, I am currently trying to develop a plug-in for
> playing Shorten files over Audion on the Macintosh platform.  When I
> proposed this to him to get some information on contacting the right
> people, he mentioned you guys and I need a little info.  Anything
> that
> you guys have as far as how playback of the FLAC standard could be
> played back via WinAmp or similar programs (someone's gotta be
> working
> on this, it's a must-have to help convert us SHN archivists) would be
> greatly appreciated.

Great to have you on board.  We already have a Winamp2 plugin
written, so that's a good place to see how to interface with
the library.  There is also an XMMS plugin which is slightly
different.  You can get the latest source release in a tarball
from here:

To summarize how to interface with the decoding library: basically
there are two decoding layers.  The lowest layer is the stream
decoder, where you write the callbacks for reading and writing,
and the file decoder, which wraps around the stream decoder.  The
file decoder handles most of the details and also has functions
for seeking.

So in a plugin you will typically create an instance of a file
decoder, provide a callback function that the file decoder will
call when it wants to give you decoded data, then you just
repeatedly ask for a frame of decoded data.

> Also, if there are any other Macintosh users out
> there I'd like to hear some ideas about what needs to be included and
> how we might get this accomplished.  Also, I have currently adopted
> the
> new MacOS X which is completely Unix-based (Free BSD 4.2 I believe)
> but
> I know very little about Unix programming.  From what I've seen
> around,
> there is very little difference between an app compiled for some
> flavors
> of *nix and the way it needs to be compiled.  If anyone has any ideas
>
> how to compile the FLAC utilities to the MacOS X platform, please
> contact me ASAP.

The first thing I would try is to get a basic Gnu setup (gcc/gnumake),
then untar the source release, then run the configure script and then
make.  Are you familiar with gnu configure already?  The README file
in the top directory has basic instructions but I can give you more
detail if you like.