[daala] help

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Fri May 16 12:36:34 PDT 2014

Chiman Kwan wrote:
> We are interested in Daala and have retrieved Daala from GIT. However,
> we have trouble in running it. Could you please help us with the following?
>
> 1) What kind of shell is Daala using? We tried on Windows and Linux, but
> could not compile and run.

All you should need is a stock bash shell. You will need autotools,
automake, and libtool, as well. If you tell us what happened when you
tried to compile and run, we may be able to give you more help.

> 2) It seems we still miss some packages such as ogg. Could you please
> let us know what other library/packages that we need in order to run Daala?

Currently we require libogg (v1.3 or later), libpng, libjpeg, libcheck
(if unit tests are enabled), and libsdl (if the player example is
enabled). We should probably make libpng and libjpeg optional
dependencies (they are only needed by some of the testing tools, and
when building the library with some debugging code), but we haven't done
that yet.

> 3) What compiler do you use? G++?

Either gcc or clang should be sufficient. The code should work with
MSVC, but we do not have actively maintained project files, so there are
likely bugs there (if you try it and find them, we'll try to fix them).