[daala] DAALA codec efficiency

Basil Mohamed Gohar basilgohar at librevideo.org
Sat Oct 12 13:30:26 PDT 2013

On 10/11/2013 03:35 AM, Maxim wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Being interested with DAALA video codec, I've ran some tests on
> compression efficiency of key frames compared to VP9, HEVC (HM) and AVC
> (JM).
>
> And it seems not to outperform even AVC. The main comparisson issue is
> that it doesn't have constant quantizer mode, only constant quality.
> This is somehow similar to VP9.
> However on 640x384 at 24 video sequence key frame only coding *DAALA
> *achieves ~37.6 dB at *8500 *kbps.
> At the same PSNR quality (37.8 dB) *HM *takes*5741.54* kbps,
> *AVC* takes *6644.11* kbps
> and *VP9* takes *5762.14* kbps.
>
> CLI options are:
> --video-quality 8 --keyframe-rate 1 --output daala_enc.ogg
> my640x384stream.y4m
>
> Also is seems that DAALA encoder doesn't have RDO so the comparisson may
> not be valid. Anyway how do we know codec efficiency if it can't do
> compression with RDO.
>
> Is there some roadmap on DAALA and maybe other test results or test
> suggestions?
>

> Regards,
>
> Maxim Sharabayko

Maxim,

I'm sure you know this, but Daala is still at an extremely early, not
even pre-alpha stage.  Any comparisons to other codecs at this point are
pointless because the implementation is changing an a daily basis,
sometimes drastically.

The only useful comparisons are between iterations of the codec itself,
and even those have different goals.  I'm sure one of the developers
would have more insight into this, but to say comparing to other codecs
is premature at this state is an understatement.

--
Libre Video
http://librevideo.org