[daala] New entropy coding - faster than Huffman, compression like arithmetic

Jarosław Duda dudaj at purdue.edu
Sun Dec 29 10:04:06 PST 2013

Hallo,

There is a new approach to entropy coding (no patents) - the current
implementation has 50% faster decoding than Huffman (single table use
per symbol from a large alphabet), giving rates like arithmetic:
https://github.com/Cyan4973/FiniteStateEntropy

The cost is that we need to store coding tables for a given probability
distribution: let say 1-16kB for 256 size alphabet.
So we could use separate tables for different contexts, as long as their
number is relatively small - probably could be used to speed up a few
times compression of DCT coefficients, maybe also prediction?

Best,
Jarek Duda

--
dr Jarosław Duda
Center for Science of Information, Purdue University, USA