[Xiph-Advocacy] Will Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Theora and FLAC become free and open standards soon?

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Feb 14 23:16:22 PST 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> [Monty Montgomery]
>> Not sure-- I'd have to contact the Swedes.  Sigh, infinite paperwork,
>> finite time...
>
> I assume you talk about the Norwegians here.  Probably Audun Vaaler,
> one of the authors of the report available from

Oops, yes.  I was being quick and careless.

I do not remember who my contact was at the time; I will have to pull
old email backups to search for it.

I do remember the content of the exchange, which merely consisted of
several straightforward questions answered via email.  I don't recall
formal paperwork/documentation being involved, though I might have
needed to put it on Xiph letterhead and sign it :-)

> Sure.  And at the moment we have an opportunity to keep Ogg Theora as
> a recommended standard for the Norwegian government, but I believe we
> need to work hard to grow the understanding on why Ogg Theora is a
> Free and Open Standard, to counter the large vendor working equally
> hard to convince the government otherwise, and for this I would like
> more information.
>
> This is the background for my request, and I eagerly await your help.

I see.  I'll pull the backup and look for the email exchange.  In the
meantime, is the existence of the report stating that Ogg/Theora is
Free and Open insufficient?

Monty