[Xiph-Advocacy] Will Ogg Vorbis, Ogg Theora and FLAC become free and open standards soon?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Mon Feb 14 22:26:19 PST 2011

[Monty Montgomery]
> Not sure-- I'd have to contact the Swedes.  Sigh, infinite paperwork,
> finite time...

I assume you talk about the Norwegians here.  Probably Audun Vaaler,
one of the authors of the report available from

> It took nearly 10 years to get the IETF to start looking at codecs.
> We just finally started getting traction on the issue in 2008 with a
> codec WG finally formed in 2010 to work on the Opus codec.  That's a
> one-shot WG, but it's still a precedent if it succeeds.

Sure.  And at the moment we have an opportunity to keep Ogg Theora as
a recommended standard for the Norwegian government, but I believe we
need to work hard to grow the understanding on why Ogg Theora is a
Free and Open Standard, to counter the large vendor working equally
hard to convince the government otherwise, and for this I would like
more information.

This is the background for my request, and I eagerly await your help.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen