[Xiph-Advocacy] Xiph.Org announces support for the WebM open media project

Brett McDowell myidiym at gmail.com
Fri May 21 07:17:44 PDT 2010

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this the biggest news for the adoption of xiph.org technology since... ever?!  How aligned/integrated/converged are the xiph and WebM codecs now and/or are on a path to become?  It seems like xiph just became the codec source Google is backing as the primary multimedia technology for the Web.  Am I overstating things?

-- Brett

PS
I haven't posted to the list in several years but I was that IEEE standards guy who tried to help Xiph evolve/branch-out into a formal standards-setting association with corporate memberships as a revenue source c. 2003.