[Xiph-Advocacy] Xiph.Org announces support for the WebM open media project

Monty Montgomery xiphmont at gmail.com
Wed May 19 23:10:41 PDT 2010

   The Xiph.Org Foundation is pleased to announce its support of the
WebM open media project as a project launch partner. As announced
earlier today at the Google I/O Developer Conference, the WebM format
combines the VP8 video codec, the Matroska container, and the Vorbis
audio codec developed by the Xiph into a high-quality, open,
unencumbered format for video delivery on the Web. Xiph will continue
to contribute to WebM as a whole and collaborate in its further
development and deployment.

   Success within the Open Source community is vital to the larger
success of WebM.  Community adoption of a newly opened source base,
such as VP8, is traditionally fraught with peril.  Xiph was the
primary organization to develop and promote the earlier VP3 codec when
open sourced by On2, and we know that substantial work lies ahead of
us to make WebM a success. Toward that goal, we look forward to
working with the established community projects also contributing to
WebM including Matroska, ffmpeg, GStreamer, and Mozilla, as well as
open-source oriented business leaders such as Google, Opera, Red Hat
and others.

   Kudos to all for the progress we've made, now we've got to get
back to work.

Monty
Xiph.Org

    The Xiph.Org Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation
dedicated to open, unencumbered multimedia technology. Xiph's formats
and software levels the playing field for digital media so that all
producers and artists can distribute their work for minimal cost,
without restriction, regardless of affiliation.  May contain traces of
nuts or poorly contained awesome.