[Xiph-Advocacy] dir.xiph.org

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 09:06:24 PST 2009

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM, Conrad Parker <conrad at vergenet.net> wrote:
> I'm proposing to:
>
> 1) leave the existing directory as-is, and to set up a new free-only directory.
>
> 2) at some point between then and never, disable the non-free part of
> the directory.
>
> Maybe we can just do (1) now and then take a vote every year about
> step (2) or something.
>
> If anything it'd be interesting to track the relative popularity of
> the two directories over time :-)

I think thats the minimum we should do; and only that if there is
genuine opposition to removing the listings. (I suppose there would be
opposition; but unfortunately none of the people who would oppose are
part of this discussion. (I consider Monty's opposition more of a
meta-opposition which only has meaning in the context of people
actually opposing the change)).

One thing we could do is eventually migrate the current mixed listing
to an icecast.org domain name, while the Xiph name is used for the
free listing. I.e. this is the icecast list, icecast support non-free
formats.  This is the Xiph directory listing...