[Xiph-Advocacy] dir.xiph.org

Conrad Parker conrad at vergenet.net
Wed Mar 4 03:04:38 PST 2009

2009/3/4 Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com>:
> On 3/4/09, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And that is why I think that dir.xiph.org should be unencoumbered formats
>> only.
>
> Yes, the chicken and egg problem.  If we cannot even claim a single
> directory dedicated exclusively to free formats, then how do we expect
> people to use them if other formats are far easily available?
>
> If we're having a vote, I'll mention I'm still in favor of keeping it
> free-only.  So is the majority of the people who replied to this
> thread.

I'm proposing to:

1) leave the existing directory as-is, and to set up a new free-only directory.

2) at some point between then and never, disable the non-free part of
the directory.

Maybe we can just do (1) now and then take a vote every year about
step (2) or something.

If anything it'd be interesting to track the relative popularity of
the two directories over time :-)

K.