[Xiph-Advocacy] Theora and others complains...

JorSol mailing at jorsol.com
Tue Mar 11 07:30:33 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:

> On 11/03/2008, JorSol <mailing at jorsol.com> wrote:
> > I don't see too much commits to the [Thusnelda] svn and it just appear
> like
> > this is an experiment for testing purpose (well actually it is), and
> just
> > that... I don't see real hard work for "the push for 1.0", its suppose
> that
> > all the great work will go to the trunk.
>
> That's not a fair comment, nor are you in a fair position to comment.

Yes, I'm not in a fair position to comment, sorry if I misinterpreted the
things... but has far I know, Thusnelda *is* an experiment for improve the
encoder in the Theora trunk. Don't get me wrong I really have hopes in this.

For what it's worth, Monty has been working consistently on Thusnelda
> for a long time, as recorded publicly at:
>
> https://trac.xiph.org/log/branches/theora-thusnelda

I'm aware that Monty has been working consistently on Thunsnelda, but if you
see close, yesterday was the first commit in the month, almost a month after
the last commit that was only one in Feb. I just interpret it like in the
last 3 month the development of Thunsnelda has been somewhat slow. But yes
I'm not in a fair position to comment, I don't really know if Monty is
working hard to make direct commits in svn... said that Monty is the only
one that has been working on Thusnelda, you are all excellent devs, why
Giles, Terriberry or anyone else is working on it?

<https://trac.xiph.org/log/branches/theora-thusnelda>

> > This is no a just do it complain...  how can we help to make that
> happen?
> > maybe if you do something like a fundraising for the cause would help?
>
> If you would like to do some bugfixing, we have a public bugtracker
> which you are welcome to attack. If you would like to do a larger
> project, and you are a student, please propose a project for Summer of
> Code (applications open March 24). If you would like to initiate a
> fundraising campaign, please send your ideas to this list. If you
> would like to donate money, please say so.

Looking from my point of view, I don't have the technical skills to do
bugfixing, and even a bug report is hard to do with this kind of project;
said that, join to the SoC is not an option.

I will try to give some ideas for a fundraising campaign:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_fundraising
Basically you can put some bar with a limit to be reach, in every page of
the xiph.org site. Update it every day to reach an specific goal in this
case "Push for Theora 1.0"

> In the absence of constructive comment, your message is a complaint.

Yes, is basicaly a complaint, but a no destructive one... I want to help, I
want that free format succeed, but for that there has to be some additional
work from the developers. I don't want to be rude, Theora has been developed
for 5 years now, and for each year that pass it becomes less competitive.

> > What is the stop factor that there is no persevering work?
>
> Similarly, see https://trac.xiph.org/timeline

Well this timeline is basicaly the commits in the svn, if your point is that
there is a lot of work, you can see that in theora has been a little.
<https://trac.xiph.org/timeline>

> cheers,
>
> Conrad.

cheers,